Day 4 – Siem Reap – Angkor Temples

Today was a super early start. We set our alarm clock for 4am and prepared to make the journey to Angkor Wat to catch the sunrise in time. When we arrived there I was quite disappointed with the amount of clouds there were. Of course this is completely dependent on the weather and how lucky you are. Once the sun had come out I did get some lovely photos in the end. The place was as busy as they say though, completely crawling with tourists even at 5am.

After watching the sunrise we had our breakfast.. 2 boiled eggs and 3 pieces of bread.. Appealing. We then headed in to Angkor Wat with our guide who talked us through the history here. It was incredibly hot and all I wanted to do was walk around and explore. Far too hot to be standing around and stopping every second. I would highly not recommend a guided tour if you are anything like me! I really didn’t enjoy this part of the trip at all. This visit to Angkor Wat was followed by a visit to Angkor Thom, Ta Prohm and Bayon.

My favourite temple by miles was Ta Prohm, made more famous by the Tomb Raider movies. The temple is overrun by trees crawling around the place, makes it look epic. I also liked that I could wander off a little and explore it myself. Really hate being stuck in a constant crowd of 18 people, we are a very big group.

This morning seemed to go on forever, I suppose getting up at 4am will do that to you!

In the afternoon we headed back to the hotel to get ready to go quad biking! I’ve never been on a quad bike before and I got to drive avoiding the cows, dogs, chickens and

whatever random things might get in the way! It was really fun. Shawn then drove the quad bike on the tour with me on the back. I took the photographs instead! It was one of the best things I’ve done in Asia, such an experience driving through the rural villages seeing the children waving at you as you go by. They were so cute!

The roads are so bumpy and all over the place you have to watch out for big dips so you won’t fall in to the nearby lakes! We even got to see the sun setting over the rice fields as we drove along. Definitely my highlight of this trip so far.

After quad biking we got ready to go party. Since the night in Bangkok everytime I’ve touched alcohol it’s made me feel sick. Since I don’t drink beer I’m limited to what I can drink and if you get spirits the drink always tastes like nail varnish remover! So not feeling in the party mood I headed to the night markets where I haggled with a local for some Ali bah-bah pants. Wanted some new ones for ages now so glad I picked these up for $3.

After midnight it was Shawn’s birthday so he made sure he drank lots and partied the night away wearing UV paint and partying in the Yolo bar! I think I missed a really good night but when you’re feeling sick all the time your no fun so I headed back to the hotel with a few of the guys and was woken at 4am by the most insane thunderstorms I’d ever heard. I was actually pretty scared. Especially since I had to go out on the balcony and rescue all the clothes I’d put out there to dry!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s